What are some of the key operational considerations when thinking about RTB?
Running an RTB system is not trivial.
You need to consider the following areas:
Cloud vs. buying and hosting your own hardware (i.e. lease vs buy )
- Hosting - in the cloud or dedicated data center
- 24-hour logging, monitoring and support
- Supporting a high-volume distributed system, running on commodity hardware and using basic protocols, connected to other partners on the public Internet. You want ops people with this kind of experience.
- Don't overspend on handling more bid requests then you need. Think about your planned spend, and the number of impressions you want to buy. A good rule of thumb is that you will win about 1 out of 100 bid requests you see incoming, so if you assume a CPM typical for your campaigns you can calculate a rough number for the expected volume you will need to support.
- From that you will want to prototype your system architecture and load test to understand how many hosts you project you will need to run.
- From that you can calculate a rough monthly operating cost for hosting.
- You should target 5% of media spend as the limit of what you spend on hosting
Posted on 08/29/2014